Jean and I are the CAFOD focal points for Christ The King. We try to promote CAFOD’s role within the parish, and an important part of this is providing information that may be useful or helpful to any who wish to find out about CAFOD’s work. We will use this spot on the parish web-site to say a bit more about events or campaigns, or meetings that we have attended, and try to give a picture that’s fuller than can be put in the bulletin or pinned to the noticeboard. We hope you find it interesting and, maybe, useful. We’ll update it weekly or fortnightly and would welcome any thoughts or questions you may have in response – our number is 419439. Mark Wallis
This is a Harvest like no other as many families face chronic food shortages, malnutrition and poverty as the result of coronavirus. By supporting CAFOD, we can help people all over the world re-build their lives. Because of the impact of the pandemic, this Family Fast Day is being devoted to CAFOD's coronavirus appeal. Fast Day itself is Friday 9th October.
CAFOD is also launching a series of online events around Family Fast Day, from 8th-11th October, so that we can come together and bring hope and help to those who are most in need. These are:
- Thursday 8th October, 9:30am - Harvest assembly for schools.
- Friday 9th October, 11am - Fast Day live talk, for the latest news on CAFOD's coronavirus response.
- Saturday 10th October 12 noon - Join the Global Family Food event. Eat some delicious food and raise funds at the same time!
- Saturday 10th October, 7pm - 'Harvest Like No Other' quiz.
- Sunday 11th October, 10am - Children's Liturgy. Join us with your children to celebrate Harvest Family Fast Day.
This is a global crisis, and CAFOD's local experts are already working through the church family to save lives and re-build hope. Donations at Holy Cross and Christ The King may be made in the following ways:
- by leaving an envelope at the back of church. This may be done at the retiring collection on Saturday 10th or Sunday 11th but also after any of the masses or Word and Communion services from Saturday 3rd to Friday 16th October. Donations may also be put through the door of the presbytery at no. 26. Plain envelopes may be used - please mark them 'CAFOD' or 'Fast Day'.
- by text. Text 'CAFOD' to 70085 to donate £10. (Texts cost £10 plus one standard rate message. You'll be opting in to hear more about CAFOD's work and fundraising by telephone and SMS. If you would like to give £10 but do not wish to receive these communications, text 'CAFODNOINFO' to 70085).
- on-line. Donations may be made at cafod.org.uk/give.
Please also continue to pray for those affected. In the face of this coronavirus crisis, let us come together to help the most vulnerable
people on earth to survive, re-build and heal. Thank you.